Monday 16 September 2013

September Memories 2011Reds SemiFinal

As you look back over your career some games will be remembered more than others, big wins & close losses stick in the mind however the first in a series of Finals memories (of which I’ll blog about) for me is the A Grade Church Qualifying Semi Final of 2011

v Saints @ Saints – 5 Old Reds had it all to do …

In 2011 we had won 3 straight A Grade titles … the team had been strong for years first losing 3 straight GFs before I joined the Reds adding a bit of hustle, defence & team first balance but it was really the dominance of Nic Blair that carried those first 2 title teams, supported by guys like Stu, Goody, Liam, Big A & Madman. In 2010 DB filled the quality void as Blair took his talents to the ABL and we managed the 3-peat. 

MICK HILL "It was a different year for the club. Last year for the first time reds recruited a celebrated champion of the game in DB and he truly help carry us to the title. But the Reds aren't about recruiting big name players, that's for Miami to do, at reds WE CREATE THEM" 

In 2011 Jack and Mick were coming in to their own but midway through the season we lost Stu to a serious knee injury at a time when he was one of our best players and our leading scorer.

A little side note – Stu you are one of the guys I most enjoyed playing with, as a guy that loves to pass you made it easy for me by always cutting to the right spot, whether it was slashing through the lane or spotting up for the 3. I wish we could teach that to all our players but I suspect you didn’t learn it either – it’s just natural instinct and timing. The no1 thing I miss right now not playing is the excitement of making the right pass especially in transition – thanks Dangerous for the memories and for putting the ball in the hoop

Stu’s loss was big for us as the Saints had emerged as our toughest opponent and after many tight contests during the years we got absolutely blown out of the gym by 20+ before the Semi and it looked like our run was over – they had certainly gained the mental edge on us and personally I didn’t feel great about beating them.

I asked Mick to comment on having to step up and fill the void ...

MICK HILL This was my second year playing for the club after playing against them for numerous seasons, but sometimes people want to settle in South Beach (I think I'm confusing all the metaphors but just play along). No longer could I get carried along by the rest of the team, I truly had to earn my spot in the A's and show why I was there. My role up until then was a utility player, If we need a big, I play big, if we need a guard, I'm all of a sudden dribbling the ball up the court. Then it happened... After what seemed like a game for the record books, Stu came out of the gates firing out of all cylinders nailing shots the from everywhere, but all of a sudden landed at a poor angle, a game we'd all rather forget. Stu was out for the remainder of the season and the next.  "Dangerous" Stu has been one of the clubs most efficient and prolific scorers to date. With him out, I had a new permanent role, put the ball in the hole. 

I started getting encouraged to put up more shots in every game and they started to drop. 

Then the news came in … for the most important game of the year both Goody and Leo would be unavailable robbing us of all of our depth … we would have to play Saints in their gym with only 5 players

ME, JACK, LIAM, MICK and BIG A

I hope the other guys remember this game for a long time – I know I will. Here’s an account of the game via some old emails we dug up and some additional comments from those who played plus Lachy, Lenny and Palky who were there supporting

JACK HARFORD "I remember the stadium was dead - seemed like there might have been half a dozen spectators supporting us"

Strange feeling heading into the game - so many guys out and without doubt the smallest line-up we have fielded for a long time with Kong, Heim, Tonkin, Good, Charles all bigger than our one 'big'. To use a phrase I heard this weekend when Bruce was calling the Port v Geelong game: "You feel like Port are playing with the house's money". That was my mindset for us heading into the game, nothing to lose and basically a 'free crack' at them.

LIAM GOLDING "Personally, I remember the look on Cain's face as we were warming up. It was 'only 5? Sweet we're home'. In hindsight the second half of the week before must have knocked them around because his look was relief, it wasn't the confidence they'd had in the other games that year."

"For us only having 5 meant we could break the shackles a bit. A and I didn't have to think about subs or anything. Just play."

MICK HILL"We went in with the plan of playing our best, but understanding the odds were against us and we were likely to play again the next week. We weren't playing with any sort of pressure or expectation"

PALK RECAP The A’s only had 5 with no bench – Saints were at full strength, in their own gym, with refs who had been calling games soft and we were coming up against a team that had the Reds measure all season ... but as they say – you can’t deny the heart of a champion. Saints jumped the Reds early the score was 0-8 and it was looking tough. Mike got the scoring underway inside with 2 quick baskets and the Reds started getting on the boards and got 2nd & 3rd looks. The Saints hit a 3 and were celebrating in their usual cocky manner.

JACK HARFORD “We had a poor start - Saints are great front-runners and play their best when guys are playing with confidence/arrogance. When Saints were rolling early in the game, Cain bombed a 3 from a mile outside and swished it, then swagged back as if it was a routine shot. I'm not a dirty player by any stretch, but next time down the floor I absolutely nailed him off the ball and said something along the lines of "enjoy it, that was the last easy shot you'll get tonight". Needless to say he didn't do much for the next 35 mins”

ME The game did not start well but sometimes that can be a blessing in disguise, there is no way back except through hard work and concentration. What I did know is that I had been to war with these 4 guys so many times and knew exactly how they would respond. You could see it in our eyes in the early huddles, we were locked in and with this group we weren’t going to give up easily

PALK RECAP The A’s then went on a run – Liam hit a 3, Purge got to the line and made 2 of 4, Jack went 2 of 2, Mike scored again and Liam got 2 and the foul and the A’s went into halftime up 2 (16-14). Saints took their first shot from the A’s and were looking wobbly.

ME Our team had matured defensively over the last few years, I’ve watched some of the tapes and our 3-2 Zone was pretty impressive. We covered a shitload of space and this 5 was our best defensive unit. I would marshal the troops from the top, Liam and Jack have great instincts and solid fundamentals, Mick was versatile and could play as the 2nd big and then we had Big A – he was the ultimate Get out of Jail card. I always felt better with him on the floor and I knew with this group we could always get stops .. and after that first 5 mins we did.

PALK RECAP The 2nd half started well – Heim scored, Purge hit a 3 and Will Good hit a 3 (and overacted as he always does) it was 19-19.

ME Having generally played in teams with good shooters, I don’t take nor hit many 3s but I knew this game I would have to take a few, I was absolutely on fire in warm ups and was disappointed to miss a couple early. Jack got in my ear and told me to keep taking them when open – that’s why he’s Captain Jack. They were laying off us and daring us to beat them from outside. It sort of worked as we didn’t shoot well but it allowed a lot of long O boards, long offences and also helped us conserve some energy. As I connected on a 3 I gave my customary fist pump and probably made a fair bit of noise and maybe even talked a little trash.

PALK RECAP Saints then took their second shot from the A’s. Jack hit 2 of 2 free-throws, A’s got a stop, Liam hits a crazy layup on the break as he was going full pelt at the basket, A’s got a stop, Liam hits a 3 off great ball movement, A’s got a stop and Mike hit a short jumper ... the A’s up 9 and Saints were out of their feet. Saints call a timeout.

ME the guys that have watched us will know we were never a great 1st half team, rarely would we blow anyone away early but we’d always come out firing in the 2nd half or “the championship quarter” as the 3rd quarter is called in footy. A lot of that is game style, I think our D would start to suffocate teams but also had a lot to do with the adjustments and high BBIQ of all the guys in the team but especially in the backcourt.

MICK HILL What I remember of the game was just absolute dedication to the cause. We had 5 players, They had greater, height, greater numbers, greater momentum going in, but what they lacked was Passion. I saw Purge dive for a loose bouncing ball with about 10% chance of getting it. But the way he pounced like a lion would it's live prey and successfully possess the ball was intense.

LIAM GOLDING I remember on three fouls seeing Will come through mid court on a break and seeing Steve beside me. I gamble and jump back to set my feet. I was lucky Will didn't try to change directions so I can flop straight back. Steve makes his favorite call. Pretty much everything went right for 30 straight minutes that day.

PALK RECAP Out of the timeout W.Good hit a free throw – A’s up 8 with 10 to go. A hit Mike with an awesome pass, tough reverse finish – A’s up 10. Saints then made their final run. Charles hit a jumper, Scammell hit a stupid runner and then followed it up with a 3 – but Saints seem out of gas ... they didn’t cheer or get any level of excited – they just went back and played D ... the A’s knew Saints were done. Liam made a couple of FTs and finished with a layup. Saints threw up a last second 3 – before the buzzer has even gone off or the ball had hit the ground Liam let out an almighty scream – it was over 37-31 ... The Reds had made their 7th straight A Grade Grand Final.

LIAM GOLDING Up 4 with less than 30 seconds to go we had an inbounds foul line extension and we wanted to get the ball to Jack. Mick was inbounding. I think we went the Palk straight line play. I set the front screen and 3 guys went to cover Jack. Mick realised it and called for me to turn. I'd have probably just stayed there otherwise. Easiest layup ever. Up six. We're in the GF.

BEN PALK the only thing I really remember from the game was that scream that Liam let out … it was almost like we didn’t want to believe that we were going to win it and then when it was done it was the biggest relief. The whole stadium was in disbelief and Liam’s yell over the silence was an incredible moment”

LIAM GOLDING Even then it felt special. That was why I let out the shout at the end. Everything clicked, unquestionably my favourite game in red. Sure, we missed shots, turned the ball over occasionally etc. but every big moment we executed perfectly. It was just what we needed.

PALK RECAP Not to put too fine a point on it ... and I have been known to say this from time to time – but it was probably the best non Grand Final win in our 19 year history. The Reds started the game as massive underdogs. To be honest Saints had their measure all year, they handed out a 20 point loss a couple of months earlier that looked like it could have been the changing of guard – this loss knocked the A’s down and took a good month to get over. Saints beat them in Intercol, they beat them last week ... but all of this had added a resolve to the A’s – for them to prove it is not over and they are the best team to ever play in this league. Saints would have been thinking that the result was a formality – especially when they saw the A’s only had 5. As I have been saying for the last 3 weeks – the A’s are the champs for a reason. Saints need to learn to win these games – I hope this destroys any and all confidence they have. Amazing game and for the people there who saw it – it was and still is headshakingly good.

Thanks to Lachy for doing the Box as below. Couple of stats that stood out – the A’s didn’t turn the ball over once in the first half and Jack shot 0 of 9 and the A’s won ... if you told me that before the game I wouldn’t have believed you.

JACK HARFORD “I remember I had a shocker - statistically speaking, perhaps my worst game for the club, which was made almost irrelevant because everyone was playing hard and we played together. That was the difference, the fact that we played together for 40 mins.

Rebounds

Name
FG
3's
FT
Off
Def
Total
Ast
Stl
Blk
TO
PF
Points
Jack
0/9
0/6
4/6
0
4
4
2
1
0
0
1
4
Purge
1/8
1/5
2/4
1
1
2
2
3
0
2
2
5
Mike
6/10
0/2
-
0
2
2
0
2
0
1
4
12
A
0/1
-
-
6
3
9
1
1
0
3
2
0
Liam
5/13
2/9
3/3
0
4
4
2
0
0
0
3
15
Total
12/41
3/21
9/13
7
13
20
7
7
0
6
12
37

ME “0 blocks are you sure Lachy???There were more blocks than fingerless glittery gloves that’s for sure”

BIG A “I certainly remember getting at least one such block (these stats stick in your head when you are trying to rationalise a zero point game).”

LIAM GOLDING We had our roles and the one benefit we had was a degree of balance. Because Tim plays such a good under-sized big we could still have 12345 roles. A bossed Kong, Purge and Mick took Heimy, Toby and Carebear and whoever else. They grew six inches that day. There's no way those rebound stats are accurate. The physical work they put in was immense. Jack and I had the comparatively easy job of blanketing Scammel, Good and Cain. Considering how the refs call finals and the little hits we continually gave Will and Cain (not so much Scammel I kinda like the guy) we had a bit of luck. I remember helping off Will and some stage early and him hitting a three, I've never gone more than a show off him since.

MICK HILL We took the game to them, we played as a team, we played our style of basketball and we triumphed. I hit 12 points this game, but frankly that was not my highlight of the game. My highlight was a tight-knit group of players showing a team of champions that a championship team is better. 

The one thing I take out of this game, but of this club especially, is that a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. You can have all the best players you want, but they can't beat a 'whole' Reds team.

Mick came prepared, Lachy made me scared
ME After the game we were spent physically but on such a high emotionally, we knew what we had put in and it was one of the great defensive efforts I've been part of ... we went out into Saints carpark and enjoyed a couple of beers, I remember standing there thinking we had all but wrapped up the title. To this day I firmly believe that if we didnt win that day we may not have even gotten out of the Prelim and certainly would have struggled beating Saints after 4 straight losses ... I emailed the lads


 I think we just go in with the same attitude - backs against the wall, nothing for granted, work our butts off. It was a war on Saturday, my knees still hurt but I do know that beer drunk in the Saints car park is sweeter, more alcoholic and slightly more glittery than normal.
In 2 weeks we will do it all again, bring your foam domes and your blue collar lunch pails - it's f**king on!!!!

MICK HILL I sent Heim a message of us with the beer helmets after the game. His response. "Mike, sometimes you're just a dick!"

LIAM GOLDING For me there was one other thing, the car park afterwards was great and A was right there. We hadn't won anything yet. The win wouldn't mean as much now if we'd lost to them two weeks later. But I had to leave because Zoe was about 10 weeks old. I left the foam dome, glitter gloves and the last beers we'd enjoy in Saints car park and ended up driving Zoe round the quiet streets of West Beach and Henley Beach so she could sleep. I remember the elation that night. It was brilliant. Being 30 didn't suck too bad.

BIG A "For what its worth, that ranks as one of my very favourite and most memorable games, GF or non GF, in club history." 

Thank you all for the fantastic game on Saturday - it was a great experience and a great win to be a part of.  Grand finals are in many ways the be all and end all.  Regardless, Saturday's game was pretty special in and of itself, and I think it will be one of few that remain vivid memories many years from now.

We did go on and win it - but it certainly wasn't easy
On reflection, I was wrong to start talking immediately after the game about getting ready for the grand final.  Saints will win next week.  Or Knightsbridge will.  Whichever, we will soon need to get our heads right and our games right for the grand final.  The time to start doing that is not yet here, however; we deserve, at least for the next few days, to enjoy the win from Saturday.  We deserve to pause for a moment and enjoy that we beat Saints, made them play to us and not us to them, and we did it on their court.  Let them spend this week working themselves up for Saturday's game, and dealing with the gnawing worry of maybe going from minor premier to consecutive finals losses.  We know we can play well together against them and we can beat them.  On Saturday, we put a significant dent in any prior confidence that they had that come the 24th, they will play well together against us, or can beat us.

Cheers A

 … and the Final word goes to Club stalwart Lenny – you always hear how every good footy club has a bloke that is selfless, always is out there supporting the team and doing all the little things. Well we have that guy and he is an important part of the Old Reds spirit

LENNY (email)G'day everyone … I am still buzzing from yesterday … awesome win … I knew that Saints were very beatable, but I didn't realise how brittle their glass jaw was, you really dominated apart from the first 5 minutes - and they had a mini run to bring them back within 3 but they never really looked like overhauling you as a team … everyone's contribution was absolutely amazing and the teamwork, cohesion, sustained D, fitness, and commitment was there

I was really worried when Stu's injury took him out for the year; each of you found an extra leg and covered not just Stu but Goodie & Leo as well and that is going to be what is required in a fortnight; each of you finding that little bit extra to cover Stu's defensive and offensive work. Mike, you stepped up to take the run and gun; Purge, your defensive commitment was unbelievable; Jack you generalled the team; Liam, your shooting was on and you kept taking it to them; Big A, you were a titan at both ends of the court and kept the ball coming back to us

the other thing that really impressed me yesterday was how you all contributed to the time outs and operated as a peerless team in supporting each other - it was great consensus basketball, next time you've got to get out and hit the court committed and pumped and look to blow them away - we started a bit slow yesterday and if they were more on their game and finished they could have made it really hard right from the outset - you don't want to be clawing back from too far down - 5 points was enough

so let's do this one for Stu

excuse the rantings of a PAOCBC junkie who had a ball on the bench; the potential for 4 in a row is real; you now know that it can be done; we just now need to put in all the work and preparation and planning to make it so; not get ahead of ourselves and keep the control

cheers Lenny

OK not quite last word - but Lenny hit on something that sums up this win and indeed that team in 2011 "Consensus Basketball" we really did have a true team, everyone would speak in timeouts, everyone contributed on both ends of the floor and if you browse over to 
you'll note that we had 7 guys score between 5 & 10 points per game. You'll also note that we went on and won that 4th title ... and a 5th ... and the lads have a crack at a 6th on the next Saturday in September.

ME Basketball is the greatest team sport of that I am sure ... on that evening in September we proved once and for all that we were a great TEAM ... neither injury or age can ever take that away ... thanks lads for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment