Saturday 8 June 2013

Humble beginnings ...

"This is where it all begins, with one kid alone on the playground, this is where you fall in love with the game, this is where the fantasy begins" ...    Michael Jordan (Jordans Playground)     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcqVJzBytjo




For most of you reading this I assume the above holds true, it certainly did for me as a primary school kid. We lived no more than 300m from Coorara Primary and it wasn't too far to dribble a ball up to the asphalt courts and fire up a few shots. 

Its one of the greatest things about basketball, the ultimate team game, that all you need is a ball and a hoop and you're set. Whether you were loving life, upset about something or in trouble with the folks the simple act of putting the ball through the hoop would make everything else irrelevant. This is where I fell in love with the game

The problem was I wasn't very good at it, certainly not terrible but not up with my skills on the soccer pitch or athletics field. But I always knew push come to shove that basketball would win out and I would just keep trying to get better, to improve, I would not die wondering ...
My new best friend


Rehab will be no different ... I'm realistic about my chances of playing basketball again but 100% optimistic about a full recovery. Coaching basketball, riding a mountain bike, maybe some golf and table tennis these things will drive me

Right now its day 6 post operation and apart from pretty much spending all that time laying or sitting with the feet up I'm able to weight bear on the right foot at 25% supported by crutches and zimmer brace and make 4 to 5 baby steps. Right on schedule ...


Next milestone is first follow up with surgeon in 8 days time until then I'll spend a lot of time thinking about that kid on the playground, making the odd shot, not a care in the world ...


No comments:

Post a Comment