Wednesday 5 June 2013

A word about surgery and tin sheds


Thumbs up all OK ... the tag confirms I'm 37 getting a wee bit nostalgic ...

But first a few words about the surgery ... 



Holes are drilled in the Patella and sutures are stitched through the remaining tendon and looped through the holes. Some cross stitching is weaved through the tendon to provide extra strength. These non-absorbable sutures will stay in until the end of time.  

There are 2 other options from here - a full cast for 6 weeks or a metal wire for approximately the same time

My surgeon opted for the metal wire which is weaved through the tendon, the holes in the Patella and a hole in the top of the Tibia. This provides additional strength whilst the tendon is healing allows some weight bearing earlier (after 2 weeks rather than 6) and appears to be the way to go for a quicker rehab period. The downside is I have a 2nd operation scheduled in just over 5 weeks time to take out the wire.

That surgery will be less invasive and from everything I've read is a better way to go and also a real milestone in the recovery process.

During my research I've found an amazing website http://injuryupdate.com.au/
It is a great resource and the Patella Tendon Rupture Forum has been running for 8 years and has had nearly half a million page views http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/forum/showthread.php?878-Patellar-Tendon-Rupture

It is actually not a very common injury and I think because of this the Forum has become a meeting place for everyone around the world going through this horrible injury. I've read over half the 2000+ posts and intend to start posting soon too. Awesome work from an Oz based website


So back to nostalgia .... lets go right from the beginning ...



Started playing Basketball at Coorara Primary School in Morphett Vale around 7 or 8 years old, a couple of the mums that also played coached my first team as their sons were in the team. We wore Red and I bet the scores were 12-8 most weeks. 

Also at the school was a teacher who was the SAPSASA BBall coach .. fate again?? Unfortunately at this point I wasn't very good at Basketball but I was a pretty handy winger / striker on the soccer pitch.

Morphett Vale in the early 80s was a hoops hotbed fuelled by large suburban sprawl and an influx of young families. I remember watching my mum play daytime ladies BBall as early as 1980 in a large green tin shed in Wilfred Taylor Reserve.

Morphett Vale Stadium

It was to become my 2nd home ... 

2 comments:

  1. Good Old Wilfred Taylor Reserve, is that photo pre car park? Old School. I witnessed Buddy Franklin slot 100 and Fev 99 in the same game in the Rick Hodges Room, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah its actually last year I caught the 722 to training for the what 10000th time and was walking along States Rd as the bus missed the usual stop. Spent a lot of time in these parts ...

    ReplyDelete